- Gather birth certificates, passports, etc. for everyone in your home and carry important documents with you on moving day.
- Measure doorways, stairways, and elevators to make sure all your furniture will fit. Measure twice – move once!
- Go grocery shopping on moving day so you don't have to keep ordering takeout.
- Transfer your monthly services.
- Confirm parking options for your moving truck - you may need a permit on moving day.
- Make sure your new home has a visible address.
- Find the nearest library, café, grocery store, takeout restaurant, or any area you'll visit frequently.
- Explore your new neighborhood.
- Get to know your new neighbors!
- Register to vote.
Packing and Labeling
- Label boxes on all sides so you can see what it contains in a stack without having to move everything around.
- Clearly mark boxes containing fragile goods.
- Pack a suitcase with clothes and toiletries like you’re going on a trip for a few days.
- Make sure pets have ID tags on their collars.